Searching through more than one file.

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 28 12:58:27 EST 2014

On 28/12/2014 17:27, Seymore4Head wrote:
> I need to search through a directory of text files for a string.
> Here is a short program I made in the past to search through a single
> text file for a line of text.
>
> How can I modify the code to search through a directory of files that
> have different filenames, but the same extension?
>
> fname = raw_input("Enter file name: ")  #"*.txt"
> fh = open(fname)
> lst = list()
> biglst=[]
> for line in fh:
>      line=line.rstrip()
>      line=line.split()
>      biglst+=line
> final=[]
> for out in biglst:
>      if out not in final:
>          final.append(out)
> final.sort()
> print (final)

See the glob function in the glob module here
https://docs.python.org/3/library/glob.html#module-glob

Similar functionality is available in the pathlib module
https://docs.python.org/3/library/pathlib.html#module-pathlib but this
is only available with Python 3.4

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence