Autoloader (was Re: CSV Error)

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 09:22:07 EST 2014

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 1:15 AM, Skip Montanaro
<skip.montanaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We were discussing something along these lines a while ago, and I
>> never saw anything truly satisfactory - there's no easy way to handle
>> a missing name by returning a value (comparably to __getattr__), you
>> have to catch it and then try to re-execute the failing code, which
>> isn't perfect. How does yours work? Or was it one of the ones that was
>> mentioned last time?
>
> Just like that. I've attached a copy. As you said, I'm sure it's not
> perfect, but it's handy in precisely those interactive interpreter
> cases when *dope slap* you forgot to import a standard module before
> launching into a block of code.

Right, so its primary imperfection is that it potentially re-executes
a block of code that had partially succeeded. Still of value, but
definitely has its dangers.

I wonder how hard it would be to tinker at the C level and add a
__getattr__ style of hook...

ChrisA