If One Line

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 01:45:57 EST 2014

On 26/12/2014 1:37 PM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> One approach is to use a function in the condition to do the assignment:
>
> Let me fix that for you:
>
> /s/approach/bad idea/

I never said it was a _good_ approach ;)

> And you don't even save any lines! Instead of a one-liner, you have six
> lines!

While I'm _definitely_ not going to advocate for this approach as a
valid solution, I have to disagree with this being an issue.  While it's
more lines in the given example, if there were dozens of such
assignment-within-conditional calls in the same code, the additional
LOCs become negligible.

> Just because a programming language allows something doesn't make it a good
> idea.

This is true. But conversely, just because I think something is a bad
idea doesn't mean someone else can't have found a valid use for it.