Configuring code editors (was Re: IDLE ...)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Dec 23 14:16:23 EST 2014

On 12/23/2014 10:24 AM, pypythotho wrote:
> In Command Prompt, 'python -m idlelib' helped me to dicover the
> problem source. An explicit message told that an indentation was
> insconsistant in the file ntpath.py I modified previously with
> notepad++. I replaced a tab by 4 spaces and IDLE run again like a
> charm.

[It was python, not Idle, that had a problem with the tab.]

The stdlib .py files (should all) use the PEP8 standard 4 space indents.
  Idle comes configured to convert tabs to 4 spaces.

Notepad++ does not.  Settings -> Language Menu/Tab Settings lets one set
a default tab handling setting and langauge-specific tab settings.
Python should be configured for tabsize 4 and [X] replace tab with
space.  Unless, of course, one uses tabs.  But then one should either
not edit stdlib files or make sure to switch every time one edits one.
I have had settings disappear after upgrading (ugh).

Similar comments apply to other code editors.

--
Terry Jan Reedy