Is there a way to schedule my script?

Juan Christian juan0christian at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 07:37:50 EST 2014

On Wed Dec 17 2014 at 11:04:16 PM Juan Christian <juan0christian at gmail.com>
wrote:
Thanks. That was a great answer. I'll redo my code. It's running and will
only run in my Docker container (Ubuntu Server 14.04.1) so I'll use cron.

Indeed, currently I'm using something like that:

while True:
if 9 < datetime.now().hour < 24:
# do stuff
sleep(randint(3, 6) * 60)
else:
# see you in 9 hours
sleep(9 * 60 * 60)

I knew it wasn't a good approach, but as least it was running as intended!

I read the cron doc, it's really simple to use, but one think I didn't see
out-of-the-box is a way to set a random time, like 'execute this in a 5~10
min interval', I can only set specific times like 'execute this each
minute, each hour, each 10min' and so on.

I found a 'fix' for that using $RANDOM in the crontab. Another workaround
would be to set a fixed 5min interval in cron and inside my script have a
random int (0 or 1), when 0, the script doesn't execute and 1 it execute,
so that way I'd have a little 'randomness' that I need.

Which approach would be the best?