Portable code: __import__ demands different string types between 2 and 3

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Dec 15 21:53:21 EST 2014

And other people agree: <URL:https://bugs.python.org/issue21720>.

> Of course. But you'll still need to work around it for previous
> versions, unless you can say you only support 2.7.10+ (maybe 2.7.9+ if
> it gets fixed quick enough).

If I can eventually drop the kludge by dropping support for Python <2.7
at some future point (instead of waiting until I can drop Python <3),
that would still be an improvement.

> Functions that should accept str but barf on unicode have a tendency
> to get fixed.

I hope you're right. The bug report currently focusses on improving the
error message only.

--
 \          “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little |
  `\            temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” |