Python console rejects an object reference, having made an object with that reference as its name in previous line

Simon Evans musicalhacksaw at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 13:37:14 EST 2014

I had another attempt at inputting the code perhaps with the right indentation, I still get an error return, but not one that indicates that the code has not been read, as you suggested. re:-

Python 2.7.6 (default, Nov 10 2013, 19:24:18) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win
32
>>> from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
>>> with open("ecologicalpyramid.html","r") as ecological_pyramid:
...      soup = BeautifulSoup(ecological_pyramid,"lxml")
... producer_entries = soup.find("ul")
  File "<stdin>", line 3
    producer_entries = soup.find("ul")
                   ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>>  from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
If, as you suggest I left a free line after the "with open( etc" line, console returns an error, if I leave a free line after the "soup = etc" line which comes after, again I get an error return, my only point is that with the above input, console return does not seem to infer that soup has not been defined. You recommend that I put all the code into a file then run it - how do I do that ? I am new to Python, as you might have gathered.
Thank you for your help.
Yours Simon