Python console rejects an object reference, having made an object with that reference as its name in previous line

Simon Evans musicalhacksaw at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 11:15:38 EST 2014

Dear Python programmers,
Having input the line of code in text:
cd Soup
to the Windows console, and having put the file 'EcologicalPyramid.html' into the Directory 'Soup', on the C drive, in accordance with instructions I input the following code to the Python console, as given on page 30 of 'Getting Started with Beautiful Soup':
Python 2.7.6 (default, Nov 10 2013, 19:24:18) [MSC v.1500 32 bit (Intel)] on win
32
>>> from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
>>> with open("ecologicalpyramid.html","r") as ecological_pyramid:
...      soup = BeautifulSoup(ecological_pyramid,"lxml")
... producer_entries = soup.find("ul")

           ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>>> producer_entries = soup.find("ul")
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'soup' is not defined

           ^
so I cannot proceed with the next line withh would 've been :
print(producer_entries.li.div.string)
which would've given (according to the book) the output:
plants

Maybe that is getting a bit far ahead, but I can't quite see where I have gone wrong - 'soup' has been defined as an object made of file 'EcologicalPyramid.html

I hope you can help me on this point.
Yours
Simon