New member - 'odd' question

Jacob Kruger jacob at blindza.co.za
Thu Dec 11 07:13:59 EST 2014

Firstly, python is one of my two current focus areas, and while I still work with python 2.7, sort of for backward compatibility, my other focus area is web development, making use of PHP, javascript, jQuery, MySQL, etc.

And, I develop on windows7 64 bit machines, in conjunction with screen reader software - either jaws, or NVDA, if that means much...<smile>

Now, one of the current pieces of work am busy with involves sort of automating the process of converting some MS access databases to MySQL, and manipulating/rearranging the data during the conversion process.

I am implementing this using a python app, making use of wxPython to implement the GUI, and am using pyodbc to pull in the data structures, and read the data from .mdb files, and then am trying to use either pyodbc, or MySQLdb modules to then handle interaction with the MySQL side of things, and the MySQL database engine is part of the WAMP installation on my dev machine, FWIW.

Now, on my primary, desktop machine, it seems like if I implement pyodbc connections and cursors to handle the input data/structures from an .mdb file, and then write out the relevant SQL queries to text files, and then try to read them in, split them into separate statements, and execute them against the MySQL database, that part of it runs fine, but, the odd issue seems to be that if I did in fact first create/open a pyodbc connection object, along with it's relevant cursor object, and even if make sure close both of them, then on my one machine, after then initiating the direct MySQLdb connection object, I am still unable to actually close the whole app down - the main class is a sort of inheritor of wx.Frame, and before closing it down, I destroy both the Frame and all it's children, but, the main oddity is that while this works fine on my other laptop, on my desktop machine it always just ends up telling me python.exe is not responding, and would I like to force it to close?

And, it's definitely got something to do with the combination of having created and/or destroyed the pyodbc objects first, and then creating MySQLdb objects, since either half works fine by itself, but not together - on one machine anyway.

Just wondering what can be causing this to occur on one machine, but not the other, relatively similar, but maybe cleaner machine, and how to try track down something like this?

That's also why am posting this here - trying to figure out how to track down what's causing this odd behaviour.

TIA

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
...Roger Wilco wants to welcome you, to the space janitor's closet...