seeking a framework to automate router configurations

ercintorun at gmail.com ercintorun at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 15:07:38 EST 2014

18 Aralık 2013 Çarşamba 04:40:20 UTC+2 tarihinde Frank Cui yazdı:
> Hi Pythoners,
>

> I'm looking for a tool or framework in which I can do a slight modification to achieve the following task:
>

> "Asynchronously reset a large number of cisco routers back to their original configurations and push prepared initial configurations to them"
>

> I did find some similar existing work such as exscript and trigger, however I was stuck in the following two problems :
>

> 1. telneting to a non-default port number (other than 23)
> 2. handling of customized banner messages.
>

> can you give some hints on this ?  Thanks in advance for your input.
>

> Frank

Hi Frank,

It's been a year since you asked, even so i wanted to answer. I faced the same problem and write down a telnet class to overcome such problems. I did not choose using pexpect as it does not work on windows (or really hard), and catch "hostname+line_break" to get the data everytime a command is executed on the router. You might have a look at http://www.networkhints.com/2014/12/automating-telnet-to-ciscojuniperhuawei.html if you wanted to.