Getting errors from Imaplib - reloaded

Beatrix Willius from Moth Software mail at beatrixwillius.de
Wed Dec 10 11:41:22 EST 2014

Hi,

thanks to your help I can get traceback errors for the imaplib. But what about accessing direct imap errors? In the following part of my script I can't select the not-deleted mails for some reason. But how do I access the error? The debugger goes to the exception line but OSError.strerror doesn't have anything. And print(imaplib.IMAP4.error) only gives me <class 'imaplib.IMAP4.error'> as result.

import imaplib

host = "xxx"
username = "bla"
password = "blub"
mailbox = "\"Ablage.Kunden\""

imap_connection = imaplib.IMAP4(host)
result, data = imap_connection.login(username, password)
result, data = imap_connection.select(mailbox, True)

try:
    result, messages_data = imap_connection.search(None, "NOT DELETED")
    print('okay')
except (imaplib.IMAP4.error, OSError):
    #print(OSError.strerror)
    #print(imaplib.IMAP4.error)
    print('xxxerrorxxx: select mails exception')
    imap_connection.logout()

Mit freundlichen Grüßen/Regards

Trixi Willius

http://www.mothsoftware.com
Mail Archiver X: The email archiving solution for professionals