Do you like the current design of python.org?

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Tue Dec 9 19:16:34 EST 2014

Chris Angelico wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 8:16 AM, Fetchinson . <fetchinson at googlemail.com>
> wrote:
>> As Ian pointed out in another message in this thread there is a link
>> on python.org that points to the above page. I did not know this. So
>> when I read that a link is broken, to me it sounded like, hey, there
>> isn't any content at https://python.org/some/bla/bla/bla/random/stuff
>> which made me ask why does the OP think there should be anything. If
>> there are no links to it, it's fine, if there is one (or more) then of
>> course it's not fine. Apparently the case is the latter.
>>

> I believe this is a bug, not a design flaw. There've been a few others
> like it (PEPs with missing images, for instance), and the best thing
> to do is raise an issue on the github project page:
>
> https://github.com/python/pythondotorg

The flaw is that when you get a 404, it claims that the maintainers have
been notified, but they apparently don't do anything about it. They should
be fixing broken links without waiting for somebody to raise an issue.
Otherwise, what's the point of being notified?

It's actually worse than that. By telling the end user that the maintainers
have been notified, they *discourage* people from raising an issue. Why
raise an issue for something that is already being attended too?

--
Steven