why can't download file from linux server into local window disk c:

Tim Chase tim.chase at 1
Tue Dec 9 11:32:01 EST 2014

  To: Luuk
Copy: python-list at python.org

On 2014-12-08 19:11, Luuk wrote:
> On 8-12-2014 18:37, ishish wrote:
> >>     with open(localpath, 'wb') as fl:
> >> PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'c:'
> >
> > I remember gloomily (haven't used windows since ages) that newer
> > Windows versions don't like users to write directly to C:. Have
> > you tried to save the file to your Documents folder?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Alba
>
> no, it's the ssh-server denying a log on from 'root'

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's pretty clearly not the
issue.  The exception states that the problem is one of permissions
on the C:

  PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'c:'

which ishish clearly identified as a "Windows doesn't let you do that
any more" issue.  Additionally, I don't know off the top of my if the
Paramiko libraries expect a file-name, or if they expect a directory
into which the file gets put based on the server-side name.

The best solution is to do as ishish proposed: write the file to some
other appropriate (i.e., writable) location.  A simple fix might be

  import os
  # ...
  localpath = os.path.expanduser('~')

or

  localpath = os.path.join(
    os.path.expanduser('~'),
    'passwd.txt',
    )

A stop-gap solution might be to just run the program in a writable
directory:

  c:\> cd %TEMP%
  c:\...\TEMP> python myprog.py

A far worse solution would be to run the script as Administrator on
the Win32 box, which will grant permission to write in the root of C:

-tkc

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
 * Origin: <SpaceSST.BBS.Fidonet<>NNTP.gateway. at .piz.noip.me> (1:249/999)
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92
SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway