Is cmd.Cmd.cmdloop() integration with asyncio server possible?

Benjamin Risher benjamin.risher at 1
Tue Dec 9 11:32:00 EST 2014

I'm working on an asyncio server project.  I'd also like to have a cmd.Cmd
style command loop interface for spawning instances of the server.  As far as
I've seen, running an asyncio server requires

loop.run_forever()

And cmd.Cmd.cmdloop() is a blocking loop, so I'm not able to call them
sequentially.  Is there a way to get the cmdloop to run asynchronously?  Or a
way to call asyncio.streams.start_server from the cmdloop and actually have it
run continuously?  I've
tried a few things but nothing has been successful.  I should mention that by
itself, the server functions.

For brevity, I'll try to keep the code to what is relevant.

class MyServer:
    def start():
        server = asyncio.async(
                    asyncio.streams.start_server(
                        self.accept_client,
                        host=self.ip,
                        port=self.port,
                        loop=self.loop
                    )
                )
        return server

class MyMenu(cmd.Cmd):
    def __init__(self, loop):
        cmd.Cmd.__init__(self)

    do_serve(self, **kwargs):
        server = MyServer(self.loop, **kwargs)
        instance = server.start()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    loop = asyncio.get_event_loop()
    menu = MyMenu(loop)
    menu.cmdloop()

Calling loop.run_forever() at any point breaks the menu functionality.  Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
 * Origin: <SpaceSST.BBS.Fidonet<>NNTP.gateway. at .piz.noip.me> (1:249/999)
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92
SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway