[newbie] how to make program suggest to install missing modules

sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com.remove-cdt-this sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com.remove-cdt-this
Tue Dec 9 11:32:00 EST 2014

  To: hugocoolens
On Monday, December 8, 2014 9:44:50 AM UTC-8, hugocoolens wrote:
> I'd like to add the following to a python-program:
>
> when a module (take rtlsdr as an example) is not installed on the system I'd
like to ask the program something like:

> module rtlsdr is missing, shall I install it? y or n
> if n -->sorry but then I can't run this program and quit program
> if y -->execute this command:
> os.system(sudo pip install pyrtlsdr)
>
> continue program
>
> can anyone here show me how to perform this properly?
>
> thanks in advance
> hugo

Hint:

try:
    import someModule
except ImportError:
    print "Module is missing"
    # handle it!

Just make sure to attempt to import it again after making the call to pip to
install it.

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
 * Origin: <SpaceSST.BBS.Fidonet<>NNTP.gateway. at .piz.noip.me> (1:249/999)
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92
SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway