Nested dictionaries from a list ?

Dave Angel dave.angel at 1
Tue Dec 9 11:31:59 EST 2014

  To: Denis McMahon
On 12/07/2014 06:52 PM, Denis McMahon wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Dec 2014 12:01:26 -0500, Dave Angel wrote:
>
>> On 12/07/2014 11:18 AM, Wacky wrote:
>
>>> I've a list of users ....
>
>> I haven't run this through the Python, so please forgive any typos.
>
>> users = [ ....
>> mess = { ....
>
> users is redundant, as it's mess.keys()
>
> maintaining a separate list of users and having the users as the keys in
> mess suggests redundancy, and the potential for errors if the two data
> items get out of synch. Better imo to just have the data in one place.

Unless there's an order that wants to be retained.  But I would change
the list into a list of user objects, rather than of strings.  And I'd
know that eventually it would be a sparse list (as users come and go,
and you don't want to reuse the indices).  So it would be another
dictionary mapping userid and User instance.

--
DaveA

--- SoupGate-Win32 v1.05
 * Origin: <SpaceSST.BBS.Fidonet<>NNTP.gateway. at .piz.noip.me> (1:249/999)
--- Synchronet 3.15b-Win32 NewsLink 1.92
SpaceSST BBS Usenet <> Fidonet Gateway