Do you like the current design of python.org?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 04:29:23 EST 2014

On Tuesday, December 9, 2014 2:37:59 PM UTC+5:30, Peter Otten wrote:
> Rustom Mody wrote:
>
> > On Friday, December 5, 2014 4:13:27 PM UTC+5:30, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> >> But most of all, I despise the menus that pop up covering what I am
> >> trying to read the page just because I happened to move the mouse over a
> >> button. I loathe the practice of stuffing content into menus instead of
> >> using links to individual web pages. And I hold nothing but scorn for the
> >> fact that the main page has a slideshow.
> >
> > I thought I'd argue against this (and the general tenor of these
> > complaints) Tried to click on the > in what looked like a console session
> >
> > and for the last 5 minutes I am staring at
> >
> > with the L in a different color...
> >
> > Pretty... but not exactly what I expect in an interactive console.
> >
> > Lest it seem like I am agreeing with these complaints, I'd like to say:
> > Either python goes this way or the way of Fortran and Cobol.
>
> You mean if Cobol had a shiny but disfunctional website we'd be using that
> instead of Python? That python.org is fear-driven design?

Among other things I mean...
1. 'Dysfunctional' can mean one of
  a. Intrinsically terrible idea
  b. Teething troubles
  c. Some linear combination of the above
  d. More likely non-linear

2. In our field, success correlates poorly with technical excellence.
For examples you may consider
  a. A certain large Redmond company
  b. JS vs python on (???) metric

[This must be somebody-or-others' law -- dunno who. Sturgeon's law is the closest I can get]

3. The rheostat can slide on many points between fear-driven and passion/innovation-driven design.

> OK, let's make an appearance on Myspace then...

Heh! [Also see 3 above]