Maintaining Maximum Line Length When Using Tabs Instead of Spaces?

sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 15:20:50 EST 2014

On Sunday, December 7, 2014 6:26:01 PM UTC-8, jtan wrote:
> One reason why you would want max length 79 is because of working with terminals.  Maybe ssh to you server and check how many spaces are consumed by a tab?  In my boxes, it is usually 1 tab = 8 spaces.  So perhaps just use that setting in your editor?

My terminals are 120 columns wide.

Are there still people that are limiting their terminals to 80 columns?  If so, why?  I mean, I can understand if you're running on an ancient square monitor, but I see no reason to limit your terminal to 80 columns if you're running any sort of window environment on monitor with a horizontal resolution greater than 1280.

"Because that's how we've always done it!" is a pretty shitty reason to continue doing something.