Maintaining Maximum Line Length When Using Tabs Instead of Spaces?

Ned Batchelder ned at nedbatchelder.com
Sun Dec 7 22:19:24 EST 2014

On 12/7/14 9:15 PM, Aahan Krish wrote:
> My understanding from talking to different people is that many do use
> tabs (instead of spaces) for indentation in their code.
>
> My question is to them (because I want to use tabs too) is: how do you
> maintain a line-length of 79 characters?
>
> E.g. scenario: The tab setting in your editor could be 2 or 4, and in
> other developer's browser it could be 8. The code will be longer than
> 79 chars in the latter's editor.
>
> I want to know if it's at all possible or if you use some simple and
> realistic (practical) hacks.
>
> *PS: Please avoid, "That's why you should use spaces," type of
> comments. I would like to avoid flame wars.*

Pointing out that spaces make more sense is not a flame war.  You are
here asking how to deal with the variability inherent in tabs.  Spaces
don't have that problem.  That is not flaming.  That's solving your problem.

I'm curious why you care about the "79 characters" part of PEP8 if you
don't care about the "use spaces" part of PEP8.