Maintaining Maximum Line Length When Using Tabs Instead of Spaces?

Aahan Krish krish at aahan.me
Sun Dec 7 21:15:43 EST 2014

My understanding from talking to different people is that many do use
tabs (instead of spaces) for indentation in their code.

My question is to them (because I want to use tabs too) is: how do you
maintain a line-length of 79 characters?

E.g. scenario: The tab setting in your editor could be 2 or 4, and in
other developer's browser it could be 8. The code will be longer than
79 chars in the latter's editor.

I want to know if it's at all possible or if you use some simple and
realistic (practical) hacks.

*PS: Please avoid, "That's why you should use spaces," type of
comments. I would like to avoid flame wars.*

TY,
Aahan