Python Iterables struggling using map() built-in

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 20:00:29 EST 2014

On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
>> I take it as "result", which makes plenty of sense to me.
>
> OK, so spell it out.  Three more keystrokes (well, plus another three
> when you use it on the next line).  And one of them is a vowel; they
> don't even cost much.  The next guy who has to read your code will thank
> you for it.

Maybe. Personally, I don't mind the odd abbreviation; they keep the
code small enough to eyeball, rather than spelling everything out
everywhere. Using "cur" (or "curr") for current, "next" for next,
"prev" for previous, as prefixes to a short word saying *what* they're
the current/next/previous of, is sufficiently obvious IMO to justify
the repeated use of the abbreviation. Why does Python have "int" and
"str" rather than "integer" and "string"? Or, worse,
"arbitrary_precision_integer" and "unicode_codepoint_string"? Common
words get shortened - it's a legit form of Huffman compression.

ChrisA