Python handles globals badly.

William Ray Wing wrw at mac.com
Thu Dec 4 23:17:03 EST 2014

> On Dec 4, 2014, at 8:56 PM, Dennis Lee Bieber <wlfraed at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, 04 Dec 2014 14:51:14 +0200, Marko Rauhamaa <marko at pacujo.net>
> declaimed the following:
>
>> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> A lot of programs don't use threads, and therefore cannot have thread
>>> safety problems - or, looking at it the other way, do not care about
>>> thread safetiness. It's like having Neil Armstrong wear water wings to
>>> make sure he won't drown in the Sea of Tranquility.
>>
>> The water wings would be too unwieldy since they'd have to be six times
>> as large on the moon. It's all about risk/benefit analysis.
>
> 	Actually, since the pull of gravity is 1/6th that of earth, but the
> density of the "water" is the Sea is the same, the water wings should be
> smaller to provide the same degree of lift.
>
> 	Of course, the lack of atmospheric pressure is going to result in the
> water wings expanding, perhaps to the bursting point...
> --
> 	Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
>    wlfraed at ix.netcom.com    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
>
> --

Wrong, again I’m afraid.  Assume for a moment you are under a dome pressurized to one standard atmosphere in some future moon colony and are in a swimming pool.  Both you AND the water are under 1/6th as much gravitational pull.  Neither your density nor the water’s density has changed. Density is a function of the atomic weight of the elements making up both you and the water and the inter-atomic/molecular spacing of those elements.  Neither has changed.  Therefore the volume of buoyant material (in the case of water wings, air) necessary to keep you above water is the same on earth as it would be on the moon.

-Bill