time.monotonic() roll over

Ian Kelly ian.g.kelly at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 17:17:48 EST 2014

On Thu, Dec 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM, Akira Li <4kir4.1i at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> writes:
> > This seems like a lot of effort to unreliably design around a problem
that
> > will matter to only a tiny fraction of users.
>
> - people's computers are mostly on batteries (laptops, tablets,
>   smartphones) -- "suspended from power management" use case
> - corporations's computations are mostly virtualized -- possible
>   "ressurected", "migrated" use case
>
> i.e., the opposite might be true -- non-virtualized PCs connected to AC
> are (becoming) minority.

By "tiny fraction of users" I was referring to people who a) work with
Python 3.3+, b) use time.monotonic in their code, and c) possibly have said
code running on versions of Windows older than Vista; not people who
suspend their systems or use VMs.

It's not clear to me whether those cases are relevant to the rollover
concern anyway. I wouldn't be shocked if the GetTickCount() function simply
stopped increasing while the system is suspended, since after all it's not
"ticking" during that time.