Style question: Importing modules from packages - 'from' vs 'as'

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 16:30:59 EST 2014

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 7:56 AM, Wolfgang Maier
<wolfgang.maier at biologie.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:
> On 04.12.2014 19:05, Chris Angelico wrote:
>>

>> With os.path it definitely is. With the actual code in question, it's
>> a Python 2.7 project that mostly uses relative imports - inside
>> package.module1 is "import module2" etc - and I was writing an
>> external script that calls on one of the modules.
>

> What ? I'm usually thinking Python 3 not 2 and I'm never sure which Python
> 2.x has backported which feature of 3, but I thought implicit relative
> imports like you seem to describe are not working in 2.7 ?

Hmm, I'm not sure, but certainly it does seem to work that way. Typing
"import foo" from inside a package will import foo.py from the package
directory. I haven't dug into the details of _why_, and if ever the
project shifts to Python 3 (which I would like it to), we might have
to change some of the import lines, but I'd still like to be able to
reference "foo.bar" as meaning the "bar" top-level object in foo.py.

ChrisA