Python docs disappointing

Albert van der Horst albert at spenarnc.xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 4 05:27:38 EST 2014

In article <mailman.16030.1416502295.18130.python-list at python.org>,
Joel Goldstick  <joel.goldstick at gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>

>Or just WOW!.  Programming is hard, and people have just started to do
>it.  Fifty years isn't that long.  It has only been 20 years or so
>that the web has been around.  That makes it easier to find
>information from a variety or sources -- the official docs, tutorials,
>articles.  If you feel the docs are awful, write a tutorial based on
>your knowledge level and experience.  Improve the situation.

That doesn't help. I'm a very experienced programmer and work in
routinely a dozen languages. Sometimes I do python. I want to do
numeric work. I remember the name numpy. It is important, everybody
knows it, it is all over the place. So I want to find its docs,
or some lead, whatever. I go to the official Python site,
http://docs.python.org and type in numpy in the search machine.

It is embarassing, try it!

Plain google is far superior in finding information.

And you tell me that writing yet another tutorial would improve that?
No, there is just one way. The powers that be should look critically
at their website, and test it with a beginners hat on.

>I'm trying to wrap my mind around DOCUMENTION being STUPID.
>
>--
>Joel Goldstick
>http://joelgoldstick.com

Groetjes Albert