Python handles globals badly.

Skybuck Flying skybuck2000 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 2 23:32:08 EST 2014

Some issues I'd like to address to you:

1. Structured programming requires more programming time.
2. Structured programming implies structure which might be less flexible.
3. Python objects require "self" keyword to be used everywhere, and other
akwardness wich leads to more typing/programming/writing time.

I used the list feature of python to dump these variable in a list so that
all variables can be processed by a while loop and so forth.

At first I wanted flexibility and all variables were individually "logic-ed"
/ "processed" but this became too much code to work with.

I was also under the impression using many ifs might be faster than lists,
but this was bogus information at best.

I wrote a simple short benchmark for if vs list and list performed fast
enough for my purposes, it could both handle 500k of items without breaking
a sweat, meaning within 1 to 3 seconds or so.

I am still new at python and definetly don't feel comfortable with the
object feature, though I did use it for these variables which are actually
objects.

I used to program in Delphi, there I would do everything OO and modular.

However python feels more like a script language and I am enjoying it quite
a lot.

I try not to get "entangled" into all kinds of structuring which leads to
much time wasted.

Though sometimes it can also gain some time.

Lastly I also don't like the module approach in python because the sikuli
ide doesn't really support working with multiple files that well.

Even if it did, having all code in one big file is a pretty big adventage.

This allow me to see the code every day I work on it, and think about how to
improve the code further, making it faster, more reliable, shorter, and so
forth.

And it also offers a lot of flexibility and time savings.

No need to search in what file, what was located.

Python also comes with nice libaries/lists/dictionaries/file io etc.. all
easy to use...

I haven't tried networking with python yet... that could be funny to try
next for my bots :)

Anyway this global thing made my doubt if python is a good thing... all in
all it wasn't too bad...

Though I do hope to see a programming language some day, that is aimed at
more mature programmers that know what they are doing.

Instead of a language aimed at noobs :) a noob language which forbids
certain styles of programming because it would be "bad".

There is a word for it in dutch: "beteutelend" I am not sure what the word
is in english but it's a bit like "childesh"

So features I miss in python are: "labels" "goto statements" and "repeat
until".

Funny thing is these goto statements would be very handy for bot
programming, so it's a painfull feature to miss.

Also as already pointed out above structure programming has disadventages as
well. I'd like to see other languages which focus at more flexibility
instead of structure.

Python is already a nice step towards more flexiblity, for example it's
auto-type feature is nice, it can detect if a variable is an integer, string
or object.

Bye,
  Skybuck.