Why is w9xpopen.exe bundled with Python 2.7 on Windows?

ps16thypresenceisfullnessofjoy at gmail.com ps16thypresenceisfullnessofjoy at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 18:08:17 EDT 2014

According to the message box that appears when it is run, w9xpopen.exe is only used on Windows 95/98. If that is the case, why it is still included in Python 2.7, since Python 2.5.4 is the last version that works on Windows 9x?

I've been excluding w9xpopen.exe in my py2exe setup script for my Python application, since my app won't run on Windows 9x anyway. Is there still some good reason to include it that I'm not aware of?