Keeping python code and database in sync

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Aug 29 16:34:33 EDT 2014

Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> writes:

> Yeah, schema migration is an ugly problem. There's a number of tools
> to help here, most of which reduce the suckitude, but don't eliminate
> it completely. Some things you might want to look at:
>
> * SQLAlchemy Migrate
> * alembic

I can strongly recommend SQLAlchemy. It has several levels of working
with the RDBMS, and they all work well together; you can code primarily
to one API and occasionally use a different part, and it all works
together.

I've never used Alembic, but it is a migration tool built on SQLAlchemy.

> * South (django-specific)

It's worth noting the South is no longer developed as a separate
library:

    Please note that South is now end of lifed in favour of the new
    migrations framework in Django 1.7, which is based on South but with
    significant design improvements. South will not work with Django
    1.7; it supports only versions 1.4, 1.5 and 1.6.

    <URL:http://south.aeracode.org/>

--
 \         “I think Western civilization is more enlightened precisely |
  `\     because we have learned how to ignore our religious leaders.” |