What is acceptable as 'open-source'? [was Python vs C++]

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Thu Aug 28 09:44:30 EDT 2014

"Chris Angelico" <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:CAPTjJmp_JFxTh_L6us30GbOTMbYhw_iMU-PjDGLEVgj2nuTpyg at mail.gmail.com...
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Frank Millman <frank at chagford.com> wrote:
>>
>> This is quite a timely message for me. I am inching closer to releasing a
>> version of my accounting software, and a lot of the above comments apply
>> me as well. At present I am the only developer, and my project is not
>> hosted
>> anywhere, so I have to decide how to make it available, and I am open to
>> suggestions.

[...]

> Go public first, and watch what people get confused at - then document
> those parts. If you try to document everything first, you'll spend
> heaps of time and effort on it, and maybe won't even be happy with the
> result.

I *think* I have created a project on GitHub and uploaded my software there.
It is called "AccInABox".

This name probably needs a bit of explanation. "Acc" is an accountant. "Box"
is the computer. You can set the system up with various rules and
parameters, and then leave your staff to operate it without supervision. The
program acts as your accountant, and will control what the staff can and
cannot do.

At the last count, there are about 10 million things I still have to do
before it is a working product. But the structure feels quite stable now,
and you can do a few simple things with it, so I am ready for people to have
a look and offer feedback.

I don't know GitHub at all, and I don't know what other information you
need, so please let me know whether it works.

Frank