PyPI password rules

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Aug 28 01:38:03 EDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 12:08 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting. I suspect this may have issues, as you're doing these
> checks progressively; something that's common in the early posts will
> be weighted without regard to subsequent posts (you're requiring 100
> unique words before recording anything, but that's still not all that
> many).

I'm not really that worried about it. The number of words and their counts
grows rapidly, so the risk of choosing "common" words which aren't actually
used much is small. If it was a problem, I do have the word frequencies
available. I could simply sort by the counts and choose the 2**N most
frequently occurring words, then toss out "bad" words before generating
passwords.

Skip