hg, git, fossil, ... [was Re: What is acceptable as 'open-source'? [was Python vs C++]]

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Aug 27 14:51:10 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:

> I use hg because 1) python-dev uses hg; and 2) I understand the simple hg
> commands.  I find git confusing, and my main uses are commit, pull, update,
> an occasional merge, and a rare rollback -- not complicated stuff.

The "simple hg commands" are generally not all that different (in my
limited experience) than the "simple git commands," for some definition of
"simple." Stuff like clone, init, push, pull, commit, the small number of
commands you use day in, day out. When you get beyond that simple core,
both are confusing to me. I think it all boils down to what you use most
often. At work they settled on git awhile ago, so I'm now comfortable with
the basics there, though I recently had a rather unpleasant first
experience with "git rebase." Both hg (almost all of it for me) and git
(the stuff I don't regularly use) are like Perl: I need to consult the
documentation every step of the way. Thank God for StackOverflow. :-)

Skip