What is acceptable as 'open-source'?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:41:29 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:44:37 PM UTC+5:30, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
> Paul Rubin :

> > "Frank Millman" writes:
> >> I could stick to hg (or git) but I have recently come across fossil,
> >> and it seems ideal for my needs. Has anyone used it?
> > I've played with it. It's incredibly impressive for such a
> > comparatively small program.

> Thanks for the tip. I've been looking for the magic bullet since I had
> to abandon Sun's TeamWare years back. Unfortunately, fossil seems to
> suffer from the same problem as git and hg: they all consider the whole
> repository to be the version-controlled "file". There are no independent
> changes; parallel changes always result in a conflict that requires
> merging.

> Darcs apparently tries to be the scientific choice that combines the
> best of CVS and git. However, I'm not at all sure that scientific
> precision is truly needed.

> What I'd like is a hg/git that treated each file independently. That is,
> in hg/git terms, consider each file a separate repository.

See vcsh

vcsh allows you to maintain several Git repositories in one single
directory. They all maintain their working trees without clobbering
each other or interfering otherwise. By default, all Git repositories
maintained via vcsh store the actual files in $HOME but you can
override this setting if you want to.

of course theres also the classic rcs