PyPI password rules

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Wed Aug 27 10:23:11 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 11:05 AM, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> I guess I could write a little program that listens to my incoming
> email via IMAP. I'll have to see what that generates. Lots of Python
> and bike references, no doubt.

I should have something to show the world in a day or two. I have a
program which (in a separate thread) connects to a mail server via
IMAP, processes all the messages in the "polly" folder, and constructs
a word list from the most frequently seen words. It checks every
minute for new messages. I believe it classifies words using criteria
similar to Chris's D&D Polly - all letters, all lower case, nothing <
four letters. In the main thread you can enter commands like
"password" to prompt Polly to generate a password and "bad" to mark
one or more words as "bad".

Gmail's label facility made the construction of a "corpus"
particularly easy. I just created a new filter and told it to add the
label "polly" to messages with certain properties (stuff sent here,
and to a couple bike-related and swimming-related lists). Voila! An
instant corpus with over 30,000 emails.

As an aside, I found it interesting that one of the "words" it saved
was "luofeiyu". Man, that guy posts a lot!

Skip