Python conquors the BBC [was Re: IDLE has suddenly become FAWLTY - so should I be hitting it with a big stick, or what?]

Twirlip2 ahrodg at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 27 05:04:29 EDT 2014

On Wednesday, 27 August 2014 09:12:07 UTC+1, Chris "Kwpolska" Warrick  wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 2:58 AM, Twirlip2 <ahr... at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have plenty of ideas for improving the program, but first I have to
> > re-organise the present spaghetti code in a more logical fashion.
>
> I have a better idea: use an existing solution.  get_iplayer, to be precise.
>
> See here: http://www.infradead.org/get_iplayer/html/get_iplayer.html
>
> [...]

I certainly remember checking out the get_iplayer website (also, the guy who
wrote it has posted at the Beebotron), but I don't remember thinking that
it did exactly what I wanted - otherwise, of course I would have used it,
as I have been using the Beebotron itself for years (and still use it, when
it does something that my code can't do).

Equally (or even more so) on the other hand, it is a practical certainty
that my idiosyncratic Python code - written (I can't emphasise this enough)
entirely to please myself - will not do exactly what anyone else is likely
to want!