Python conquors the BBC [was Re: IDLE has suddenly become FAWLTY - so should I be hitting it with a big stick, or what?]

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 20:21:32 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 10:08 AM, Twirlip2 <ahrodg at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 August 2014 01:04:18 UTC+1, Steven D'Aprano  wrote:
>
>> Twirlip2 wrote:
>>
>> > Since I require Python in order to listen to my beloved radio programmes
>> > reliably (don't get me started on the subject of the thrice-accursed BBC
>> > website!), I therefore have IDLE running all the time, very probably
>> > sometimes for weeks on end.
>>
>> Well, don't keep us in suspenders, tell us what you use!
>
> Sorry, I don't understand.
>
> (Unless it's a Monty Python quote?  I never wanted to be a computer programmer, anyway.  I wanted to be a ...)

I'm assuming the "in suspenders" part is either Monty Python or Fawlty
Towers (normally people would say "don't keep us in suspense"). But
the rest of the question is serious. What is it you do with Idle that
lets you listen to the radio reliably? I'm guessing this is streamed
over the internet and you're getting around some stupid limitation,
but I second Steven's request that you share your tricks!

ChrisA