IDLE has suddenly become FAWLTY - so should I be hitting it with a big stick, or what?

Twirlip2 ahrodg at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 26 15:44:35 EDT 2014

On Tuesday, 26 August 2014 20:20:22 UTC+1, Twirlip2  wrote:
> Mercifully, it looks like Python is not broken, but I have done something Silly!
>
> [...]
>
> What I don't yet understand is why Python is trying to execute anything at all.
>

> But I'm sure there's a simple explanation, and there'll certainly be at least a workaround, even if I have to temporarily move all my recently-edited source code files to another location!

The truth is that Python WAS broken, but it was (unsurprisingly) me wot broke it!

I had, in effect, already hit it with a "big stick", by naming one of my newly-created modules 'code.py' - thus evidently creating a name conflict with the standard module I:\Python34\Lib\code.py.

There is probably some lesson I should learn from this.

Meanwhile, let me try renaming my module, and see what happens ...