Small World Network model random data generation

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Aug 26 13:37:39 EDT 2014

On 8/26/2014 6:16 AM, lavanya addepalli wrote:
> How can i generate a random data that is identical to my realworld data

I presume you mean same statistical properties.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small-world_network
explains the difference between random networks and many real sw networks.

> i am supposed to refer the attached paper

By Watts and Strogatz
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_and_Strogatz_Model
gives a compact description of their algorithm, without proofs.

> Real Data
> node pairs and the time they spend together connected

Your real data should have connect and disconnect (start and stop)
times.  The data below could represent a decay situation where all
connections exist at time 0 and the time represents how long they last
before breaking.  Or a much different growth situation where there are
initially no connections and they slowly accumulate. Or some sort of
steady situation.

> node node time in seconds
> 4391 2814 16.0
> 4945 3545 386.0
> 5045 4921 63078.0

etc. The small-world-network concept is a static, or perhaps snapshot
concept.  Modeling link changes in a way that maintains the statistical
properties is a harder problem.

--
Terry Jan Reedy