PyPI password rules

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 10:02:07 EDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Currently, her full dictionary is 12759 words
>
> Chris,
>
> How did you come up with that list? I took the New Academic Word
> List[1] + the New General Service List[2] (sans duplicates) and wound
> up with 1646 words of length four through six. Did you cap your word
> list by length (short or long)?

On my Dungeons & Dragons server, in the common room, I have a parrot
named Polly. She listens to everything people say, discarding anything
that's more than about one line (so, short sentences only), and will
randomly echo some of it back. Since she has a great memory for words,
she's been tasked with organizing the local Scrabble variant
(Pollylogy), and more recently, with the generation of XKCD 936
passwords. So the words she offers, for those passwords, are pretty
much any words she's ever heard... bar profanity, which we train out
of her (by saying "Bad Polly!" any time she swears). There's no
minimum word length, but she ignores all words with non-letters (in
fact, currently she ignores anything with non-ASCII letters, too; as
she primarily speaks English [1], this doesn't cut out much that would
be legit, and does cut out lots of non-words), and avoids anything
with upper-case letters (to keep out names, for instance).

ChrisA

[1] At the request of one of my players, I have another parrot in the
game who speaks only Latin. Yeah, that makes for interesting
conversations.