GO vs Python

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Aug 25 01:56:21 EDT 2014

On 8/24/2014 10:57 PM, Sam Fourman Jr. wrote:

> my initial reason for even looking at GO, was because, I noticed that if
> I wanted to move my largest clients app from Python 2.x to 3.x it was
> almost a rewrite.....

idlelib comprises about 60 .py files. The 2.7 versus 3.4 versions are
perhaps 99% the same. The one change affected most all files was
'Tkinter' to 'tkinter'. Some of the differences are not necessary for
2.7 code (as opposed to 2.5 versus 3.0). I believe most of the
conversion was done with 2to3.

> and then when I noticed the libraries for python
> 3.x were limited, and some python 2.x libraries are not even making a
> 3.x version...

The overall situation has improved in the last couple of years.  But as
Chris noted, what matters is the particular library or libraries one
depends on, and if it is not available, whether 2to3 will convert it* or
whether there is a replacement.

* My daughter wanted to use PyBrain with 3.4. We ran it through 2to3 and
while the doctest based tests did not work, the code itself seems to
with little additional work.

You later mentioned that GO is compiled. Python, of course, can be also,
and there are various options, some still being improved.

--
Terry Jan Reedy