Python vs C++

Marko Rauhamaa marko at pacujo.net
Sat Aug 23 12:54:51 EDT 2014

mm0fmf <none at mailinator.com>:

> On 22/08/2014 18:16, Marko Rauhamaa wrote:
>> SCons gives you the power of Python. Don't use that
>> power except in utmost need.
>
> Ah, you've seen our build system at work!

Where I've used SCons, I've striven to make the SConscript files obvious
to a casual visitor, who might not even know Python. Adding one more
file in the right spot should be possible just from the looks of the
SConscript file.

A SConscript file should *not* involve programming, even if it means
some redundancy. Don't create libraries. Don't create your own rules.
Keep it simple, keep it plain.

A colleague had to deal with a different SCons setup that had reached
self-awareness. It knew what needed to be built without specific
instructions before you, the developer, knew it yourself. The developers
no longer had any idea how it worked nor did they dream of touching the
code. Not a good place to be.

Marko