Python vs C++

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 10:21:35 EDT 2014

On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM, Ian Kelly <ian.g.kelly at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know how fast lilypond is, but perhaps one could write an editor
> that wraps lilypond and invokes it in realtime to show the output in an
> adjacent panel, perhaps with a brief delay when the user stops typing.

You theoretically could, but it'd be a bit awkward in places. It's not
hard for a small textual change to result in a large visual change (eg
if you use relative notes and add/remove an octave shift - it'll shift
every subsequent note in the staff, which might mean more/less ledger
lines needed, which will affect how much vertical space the staff
needs, which will affect pagination...), so it'd often make for rather
nasty flicker. Better to keep it explicit.

ChrisA