Python vs C++

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 09:00:25 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is an example (not identical but analogous to) where markup+compile is
> distinctly weaker than wysiwyg:
>
> You can use lilypond to type music and the use a midi player to play it
> But lilypond does not allow playing and seeing-in-realtime
>
> WYSIWYG editors allow that -- can make a huge difference to beginners
> who find music hard to read.

I don't buy that it's weaker. In fact, I'd say this proves that markup
is distinctly better - just a little harder to do "Hello, world" in.

At best, the simple GUI makes it easier to do something
straight-forward, and then basically lets you drop to the more
complicated form. At worst, it makes it easier to do the very simple,
and nearly impossible to do the more complicated.

ChrisA