Global indent

Christian Gollwitzer auriocus at gmx.de
Sat Aug 23 05:41:55 EDT 2014

Am 23.08.14 11:08, schrieb Steven D'Aprano:
> I just started up emacs, and got a GUI window with an abstract picture of a
> gnu and a bunch of instructions which I didn't get a chance to read. I
> clicked on the text, and the instructions disappeared. I don't know how to
> get them back. They were replaced with what looks like a blank page ready
> to type into, except it starts with this ominous warning:
>
> ;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation.
> ;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,
> ;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.
>
 > [...] (lots of frustrating user experience deleted)

> This is the moment that I decide to give up on Emacs and take up something
> trivial in comparison, like being a Soyuz pilot, если вы знаете, что я имею
> в виду.

Well done, Steve! This is the exact reason that I do not recommend gvim
to anybody, who asks me an editor question, though I use it myself for
practically any text editing task.  (I'm pretty sure you did that C-f
... thing on purpose to make your point clear. and that you actually
understand it was meant to represent pressing Ctrl-key).

There are ways to put these editors into Beginner's mode, for vim there
is "evim", and for sure emacs has something similar, where the editor
behaves more like you expect. In evim, this means you can't go to
command mode, and you need to use the menus and toolbars to save/load
text. But if you do that, you also loose the functionality that comes
from the command mode - it's actually better to recommend Notepad++ or kate.

Sometimes I impress my colleagues with what they call "magic", i.e.
creating special repeated lists of numbers by a few keystrokes in gvim,
and that has triggered the request from them to learn a bit of (g)vim.
But when they asked me, which editor they should use, I pointed them to
kate.

	Christian