Python vs C++

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Aug 23 02:11:41 EDT 2014

On Sat, Aug 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM, dieter <dieter at handshake.de> wrote:
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> writes:
>> Frankly, I wouldn't write OO in anything, because I think the entire
>> concept of a WYSIWYG editor is flawed.
>
> That would limit (so called) office applications to experts only.
> But the success of these applications relies on the fact, that
> even a complete novice can immediately use them. For "non-experts"
> WYSIWYG editors are important.

People say that. But WYSIWYG editors are the primary cause of
frustrated yelling from the far end of the house, in my experience. I
think they're an attractive nuisance. They're complicated to get right
("pure" WYSIWYG is useless, so you have to balance the visual benefit
of being close to the result against the utility of seeing some of the
non-printing information), and non-modular. With a text editor +
compiler concept (whether the compiler's language is as big and
complex as LaTeX or as simple as ReST), you can change editors without
breaking anything. You don't like Libre Office Writer? Tough, there's
no real alternative if you want to work on LO files.

ChrisA