Why can not initialize the class?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Aug 22 23:46:26 EDT 2014

On 8/22/2014 7:28 PM, Ben Finney wrote:
> Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> writes:
>
>> By posting code with an extra indent, you make it imposible to run by
>> just cutting and pasting. You should already know that.
>
> I commonly do that,

It is unnecessary and extra work on both ends. It is also ambiguous in
that there may be a missing unindented line.

 > as I do with most block quotes in plain text.

Code is not text, especially not python code.
Indents do not change the meaning of text.

 > I think it's a reasonable expectation that programmers, reading a
 > forum about program code, will have at hand a programmer's editor
 > capable of stripping a level of indentation from a block of code.

Well yes, people here generally have Idle at hand, which can do it
easily. However, it is unreasonable (and counterfactual -- see other
thread today) to expect everyone to know that, or remember if they ever
did know.  It also requires that one get *all* the indentation and not
miss the first space.

--
Terry Jan Reedy