Som confusion about the python library installation

Jiafan Zhou zhoujiafan at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 11:46:29 EDT 2014

Hi all,

Need some explanation on my already done python library installation.

I was informed to work on a python project which requires a number of python libraries.

One of them is the python-nose unit testing framework

Since I am in Ubuntu 12.04 lts, the first thing I did was to issue the below command:

sudo apt-get install python-nose

One the installation completes, the version of python-nose it installed is 1.1.2

$ dpkg -l | grep -i nose
ii  python-nose                              1.1.2-3

And it is available in the python library and can be viewed from the pip

Later on, I realized the target version I should use is nose 1.3.3

So in the pip, I performed:

pip install --upgrade nose

Now from the pip, it is nose(1.3.3), whereas the apt-get still reports python-nose (1.1.2-3)

I guess it must be the 1.3.3 version being used in the system, but why apt-get still reports 1.1.2-3 and this worries me a little.

Another separate question in relation, do I really need to install the python-nose in ubuntu. Can I not just go directly to pip and install the nose library?

Regards,
Jiafan