Python vs C++

dieter dieter at handshake.de
Fri Aug 22 02:12:59 EDT 2014

David Palao <dpalao.python at gmail.com> writes:
>  Why to use C++ instead of python?

Likely, you would not use Python to implement most parts of an
operating system (where, for efficiency reasons, some parts
are even implemented in an assembler language).

I can imagine that the GNU compiler developers, too, had good
reasons to implement them in C rather than a scripting language.
It makes a huge difference whether you wait one or several hours
before a large system is built.

"firefox", too, seems to be implemented in C/C++. There, too, I
see good reasons:
  *  it is nice when your pages are rendered quickly

  *  "firefox" depends on lots of external libraries, all of them
     with C/C++ interfaces; while is is possible to create
     Python bindings for them, this is quite some work

  *  as it is, "firefox" is a huge "memory eater"; one might
     fear that things would be worse if implemented in a
     higher level language (with everything on the heap).
     Though, the fear might not be justified.

All these examples are really large projects. I like Python a lot
for smaller projects.