what do you get with 1 divide by 998001, interesting results

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Wed Aug 20 22:36:44 EDT 2014

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:22:01 -0700, Everything You Need To Know wrote:

> Thank you Steven, I thought most of the exercises I have posted were
> quiet original and still offer interesting results.
[...]

You will find less hostility if you attempt to engage with the community
rather than just dump a link on us. Giving a "real" name or alias is a
good start: calling you "Everything You Need To Know" is tacky. At the
very least, you should sign your posts with the name or alias you wish to
be known by.

Although some people may not like it, self-promotion is not prohibited
here, provided it is relevant to Python, that your posts are not
misleading or deceitful in any way, and you don't flood the channel with
noise.

My recommendation is:

- For preference, you should be a regular poster in the community,
  answering questions (or even asking questions!) often enough
  that people will recognise you.

- If you are not a regular, you should take the time to engage with
  the rest of the community. This is a community, not just a place to
  advertise, so the polite thing to do is at least to say hello. Who
  are you, what is your background in Python, what do you have to
  offer us, why should we follow your link?

- A very common convention in Usenet and email circles is to label
  announcements like this with "[Announce]" at the start of the
  subject line.

Something like this would probably be more acceptable:

    Subject: [Announce] Short Python video about the Mandelbrot set
    From: Everything You Need To Know <eyn2k at outlook.com>

    Hi, I'm Fred, the author of the "Everything You Need To Know"
    channel on Youtube. I have a 3 minute video about Python
    programming aimed at beginners:

    "What do you get with 1 divide by 998001, interesting results"

    If you're interested in Python programming or the Mandelbrot set,
    you might like my videos.

    Thank you,

    Fred

You should also be prepared to stick around long enough to answer any
questions (or criticism!).

Good luck,

--
Steven