'is not' or '!='

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 07:33:50 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:26 PM, Tim Chase
<python.list at tim.thechases.com> wrote:
> On 2014-08-20 21:17, Chris Angelico wrote:
>> That's true, but how easy is it to annotate a file with each line's
>> author (or, at least, to figure out who wrote some particular line
>> of code)? It's easy enough with 'git blame' or 'hg blame', and it
>> wouldn't surprise me if bzr had a similar feature; but that's all
>> the current generation of version control systems. I don't think
>> cvs or svn offered that kind of feature.
>
> Just for the record, at least SVN has "svn blame" which will annotate
> with the committer's name/id.  I use it all the time at $DAYJOB.  I've
> managed to avoid CVS, so I can't speak to that.

Ah, was not aware of that. But my usage of svn has been pretty minimal
(just basic cloning of a repo and such; I think I started svn'ing one
project at one point, got to maybe four revisions, and then the
project stagnated for long enough that I met git), and my cvs even
less so (I cloned exactly one repo, then ran into difficulties, asked
on the mailing list about compiling the version from cvs, and after a
few exchanges, someone said "Wait... when you say cvs, do you
literally mean cvs? We moved to git a little while ago, that's now out
of date" and I moved to git forthwith), so I have no experience with
even slightly advanced tools.

ChrisA