'is not' or '!='

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 07:17:10 EDT 2014

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 9:05 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> Rustom Mody wrote:
>
>> It is interesting (and insidious) how technology shapes our thinking
>> patterns.  Before git,
>
> Pardon me, but git did not invent revision control. There are dozens of
> revision control software applications, including:
>
> Mercurial: released April 2005
> Git: released April 2005
> GNU Bazaar: released March 2005
> Subversion: 2000
> Clearcase: 1992
> CVS: 1990
>
> Even venerable old cvs tracked authors.

That's true, but how easy is it to annotate a file with each line's
author (or, at least, to figure out who wrote some particular line of
code)? It's easy enough with 'git blame' or 'hg blame', and it
wouldn't surprise me if bzr had a similar feature; but that's all the
current generation of version control systems. I don't think cvs or
svn offered that kind of feature. Sure it's possible in theory - the
information is all there - but if you can't pull it up when you want
it, it's not that helpful.

Personally, I like to just edit the line of code (add a character or
something), save the file, then pull up gitk and look at "Unstaged
Changes", from which I can right-click and say "Show origin of this
line". Much faster than a full 'git blame'.

ChrisA